Just 5 more weeks until this project comes to an end, and it's all coming together bit by bit. The selections coming together.
My biggest fear so far was my orders not arriving in time, specifically the floors and curtains. However, they both arrived this past week! Yay!
Out with the 20+ year old carpet and In with the fresh Laminate!
I ordered 1,200sq.' of Valenica Oak Laminate Water-proof Locking Floors from Allen + Roth at Lowes. I over ordered to make sure I had enough of waste boards, since I'm new at this type of project. I plan to return what I don't use. I decided to go with laminate flooring because of the high traffic of dogs and kids at my mom's house. With this floating floor, I also ordered underlayment to put between the subfloor and flooring, as well as an installation kit that had everything I need to instal these floors.
Since I was pulling the carpet up, I went ahead and painted most of the room that way I didn't have to tape and tarp off the floors. Once I was ready to get started I used a box cutter to cut the carpet in sections and pulled it up. It was so easy. I guess because it's so old? Then the whole family stepped in and helped haul the carpet out, pull up staples and clean the floors so I have a clean and even surface for installing the floors.
I followed a few tutorial videos from Youtube to figure out where best to start and how to lay with ease. I used the spacers that came with my kit and got started on laying. The reason you leave spaces is so the floating floor has room to expand and not buckle. I'll have to touch up the baseboard after I install the finish trim.
I'll follow up once the entire home has the flooring installed. Lots of moving furniture!!
The Kitchen Gets New Flooring Too!
I couldn't let the entire house have new flooring and not do anything to the kitchen. So, I'm updating the vinyl sheet floor with peel and stick Symphony Gray groutable tile from Lowes went in the Kitchen, Breakfast area and Laundry room. They're also on sale right now!! I used Slate Gray vinyl grout. (I think they discontinued this color, because it took me many locations to get enough for the areas, but I linked another color I would've used.)
I painted the cabinets a green and updated the hardware as well, before updated the flooring.
These floors were so easy instal. I purchased tile spacers to give a clean pattern for laying them. After I laid all 10,239 tiles I grouted the edges.
I love the new "slate" flooring for the Kitchen and Laundry. It totally made it feel more open. (This is before I grouted the floor.)
I still need to purchase, cut and paint the trim and transition strips for the doorways, but I'm so excited that this big noticable change is almost finished! Next is to touch up paint and finish a few more big things, before sourcing furniture and accessories.